Quick Mexican Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) small white beans or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Optional: Crumbled queso fresco and additional cilantro
- In a large saucepan, combine first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. If desired, top with cheese and additional cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 214 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 15, 2019
I am only giving it 3 stars because I think I tweaked it so much it's maybe not the same recipe. First off, I did use butter beans and navy beans, but I mashed them a little bit with my potato masher to give it texture. Second, I had part of a rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator, and I shredded pieces of that and added to the broth. I also added some frozen corn. I like for any Mexican type soup that I eat to have a little heat to it, so I added a little red pepper flakes to taste. All in all, I really like this dish! I just decided to make it mine! ??
Oct 21, 2018
Strength: easy and healthy. Modifications: I used 4 cups vegetable broth, I pureed the mix with a submersion blender before adding fire roasted corn. I wish I pureed it more as it is thin unless you do so.
Jul 25, 2018
I liked this. It was quick
May 9, 2018
This was a good-tasting soup. My son plans to take it to work tomorrow. I recommend it to anyone less than 70. I will be 71 next month, that is, if I don't eat anymore of this soup.
Mar 19, 2018
A very quick soup - but delicious and filling - and good for you! Even my husband, who is not such a big bean eater, thought it was very good. I used dehydrated onions since I did not have onion powder. And because my husband does not care for the size of butter beans, I chopped them up before adding them. I think it made the soup a little thicker/creamier.
Mar 10, 2018
I agree with ms11145: you can use just about any beans -- chili or kidney or pinto. I hate butter beans. :-) I also put grated cheddar cheese on top.
Jan 15, 2018
Since I didn't have butter beans, I used a can of chili beans. I also added a can of mexicorn for added taste and texture. I made this in the IP and used the soup/chili function with 0 minutes. Wonderful.