Quick Ginger-Orange Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pierce squash several times with a knife or fork; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Cut into quarters; remove seeds and pulp.
- Return squash to plate, cut side down. Cover with waxed paper; microwave on high for 4-1/2 minutes.
- Turn over; microwave on high for 4-6 minutes longer or until soft. Scoop out squash and place in a bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 143 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 8g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 3, 2015
We both liked this side dish. Since there are only two of us, I used a package of frozen cooked winter squash, which I first thawed and heated in a saucepan on top of the stove. I added about 2 tablespoons of sweet orange marmalade instead of the oj concentrate (will reduce it to one next time), cut the rest of the ingredients in half, added a bit of salt and pepper, and let it simmer while I finished cooking the rest of the meal.
Feb 12, 2014
Yum ! Definitely a keeper ! I cut the squash into smaller pieces, turned the oven to 355 F. Spread out the small chunks in a 9 x 13 pan, sprinkled them with xylitol, pumpkin pie spice & grated ginger root. Then I poured a bit less than 1/4 cup of orange juice over the adorned squash and baked, covered, for 35 minutes, uncovered and continued baking for 25 minutes.
Oct 8, 2006
No comment left