Quick Creamy Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 12 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks and onions in oil and butter until tender. Add the asparagus and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Set aside 1 cup of asparagus pieces.
- In a blender, process the remaining asparagus mixture in batches until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through. Garnish with reserved asparagus pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 170 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 7, 2020
It was on the mild side but everybody liked it. We had just gone to a very nice restaurant where the cream of asparagus soup had a unique spice added and we missed that! I would add more asparagus because it didn't seem like enough. Garnishing with the extra asparagus was awkward but we liked having some solid pieces.
Apr 15, 2020
This was pretty good, but the asparagus taste was not as robust as I would have liked. Next time I fix it I will cut the stock in half.
Mar 12, 2018
After making cream of mushroom soup, my daughter asked me to make cream of asparagus. I chose this recipe because I liked the inclusion of leeks and green onions. The instructions were easy and the soup turned out good. However, I needed a little more of a kick to make it special for me. When serving I added some garlic salt and red pepper flakes. I will likely make this again, but I plan to saute garlic with the leeks and green onions, and I'll serve it with red pepper flakes again because I like it spicy.
Mar 3, 2018
Apr 17, 2012
Have not actually made yet, but I did a recipe similar to this and it is so delicious and healthy too!!!!!