Quick Baked Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 290 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1166mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 2, 2016
We had some left-over baked potatoes to use up - I found this recipe and my husband loves it. It's not too thick, has a nice amount of spice.
Nov 21, 2013
This was amazing. I accidentally grabbed beef broth instead of chicken and didn't realize until a full cup was in so I just went with it....absolutely delicious!
Aug 22, 2013
This is literally THE best Potato Soup I have ever had. & I have tried it at many places! Love! Love! Love! I use more bacon & a lil more flour (i like this soup thick). AMAZING!
Oct 7, 2012
This soup hits the spot on a cold day! Easy to make. The only thing I do differently is add more bacon!
Jan 3, 2012
No comment left
Nov 28, 2011
This hit the spot on a cold rainy night! I made a few changes to this recipe because of time and what I had on hand. I used a couple tablespoons of butter instead of bacon (mine was already cooked) to saute the onion and garlic. And, to save on time, I boiled the potatoes in the broth. To make it gluten-free I mixed some cornstarch in a bit of water and added that to the broth after the potatoes were done. Will make again for sure. I did not use the basil or hot sauce, but did add a stalk of celery with the onion.
Sep 10, 2011
No comment left
Mar 7, 2011
This was ok. If I make again, I would use a little less flour and maybe use a little less broth and a little more milk/cream to make it creamier.
Jan 10, 2010
I tried thyme instead of basil after reading the reveiw before, and it went well. I would make it again.
Oct 9, 2009
This was excellent. Next time I might add a little more bacon and leave out the basil. But this was excellent and easy!