Pulled Pork Doughnut Hole Sliders
This slider recipe was created by accident when we had a surplus of root beer from a party. Now we can't have barbecue any other way! —Eden Dranger, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Cook: 8 hours.
- 1 bottle (2 liters) root beer
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 60 plain doughnut holes
- 60 appetizer skewers
- Additional barbecue sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring root beer to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, 30-45 minutes. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce, salt and ginger. Add roast, turning to coat.
- Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 8-10 hours. For slaw, in a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar and syrup. Stir in coleslaw mix. Refrigerate, covered, until flavors are blended, at least 1 hour.
- Remove pork from slow cooker; skim fat from cooking juices. Remove meat from bones; shred with 2 forks. Return juices and pork to slow cooker; heat through.
- To serve, cut doughnut holes in half; cut a thin slice off bottoms to level. Serve pork and slaw in doughnut holes; secure with skewers. If desired, serve with additional barbecue sauce.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pork mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slider: 138 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 20, 2020
Great idea for enchilada casserole! Thank you
Jul 20, 2020
These are fun. I hollowed out the bottom and top of doughnut holes so the bbq pork and slaw fit nicely, not as sloppy to eat.