Pretty Penne Ham Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until ham is browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and herbs; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 567 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1344mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 27, 2020
Oh good gried, BellaTerra66, get a life. Nobody said you have to eat this, and if the rest want a cheat meal every so often, we actually have a life and do! Nobody said this was diet food, so stop giving a bad review just because you want to live that way. Move along! Great recipe!!
Jul 15, 2020
A good recipe. I used a small bag of frozen peas in place of the red pepper (didn't have red pepper). I did find this a bit on the salty side & am thinking of adding some heavy cream to balance that.
Jul 12, 2020
I find it difficult to believe this is any nurse's favorite meal. It's high calorie and full of fat and sodium. I'm not against fat -- fat gets a bad rap -- but I am against this kind of fat.
May 22, 2020
Delicious and different way to use up leftover ham. My husband and I loved this recipe!
Apr 14, 2020
Easy, delicious, and a great way to use up my leftover Easter ham. I used medium shell pasta in place of penne.
Feb 27, 2020
This is a very easy and great-tasting recipe! I really liked the flavor of the fresh herbs in here.
Dec 30, 2019
This is my go to recipe for leftover ham following Easter and Christmas. It is delicious and easy and has become a family favorite.
Jul 9, 2019
Very nice recipe
Mar 14, 2019
Dec 28, 2018
I don't often review recipes, but this was such a refreshing take on pasta that I had to! I used leftover ham and the way it browned made it seem almost like bacon. Only changes I made was cutting the oil in half, and it still came out perfect. I added broccoli florets to the pasta water for the last 4 minutes of cook time (it upped the veggie content which is always good). We added the parmesan at the table (some people in my family don't love cheese like I do). I had the leftovers today for lunch and it was just as good as last night, maybe even better! Thanks for a great recipe!