- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Over very low heat, stir potatoes 1-2 minutes or until steam has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Press potatoes through a potato ricer or strainer into a large bowl. Stir in the egg yolks, milk, butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry bag or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag and a large star tip, pipe potatoes into 6 mounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 158 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 20, 2018
I made this for my parents back in the '50s when I was about 12 years old from a Betty Crocker cookbook. Very easy to make and are delicious. Big hit from a little girl. Now I sometimes put parsley or other herb in with it. Enjoy.
Jan 16, 2012
The first time I made this, I was out of nutmeg so made do without. My family really liked it, even my daughter who hates potatoes. When I made it again with the nutmeg, we didn't care for it, so we will omit that from now on. Be sure to get all the lumps out or it will clog the pastry bag. It takes some work, so I will keep this for special occasions.