Pressure-Cooker Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker and adjust for medium heat. Add oil. Working in batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add onions to cooker; cook and stir until tender, 8-9 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in beef broth, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add ribs back to cooker, partially but not fully submerging them. Lock lid; close the pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 40 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Add carrots; bring back to full pressure and cook 7 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Press cancel.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Select saute setting and adjust for medium heat; bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with ribs and vegetables.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 265 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Apr 7, 2020
Made it 2night great??????
Mar 1, 2020
Delicious flavors. The short ribs were not as tender as I expected, even though they fell off the bone. I will make again!
Sep 26, 2019
The short ribs were so tender and delicious, and the carrots (and potatoes that I added as well) were perfectly done.)
Aug 6, 2019
These ribs are fabulous! If I could afford to, I would make these every week. And so easy in the instant pot.
May 5, 2018
No comment left
Jan 15, 2018
I've never made ribs before and was nervous. I only did a half recipe but next time I'm doing a full one to have leftovers for the next day. My husband is still raving about how great they were 2 days later!