Pressure-Cooker Fabulous Fajitas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + releasing
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: Sliced avocado and jalapeno peppers, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped tomatoes
- In a bowl, toss steak with cumin, salt, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown meat in batches and remove. Add water, lemon juice and garlic to cooker; stir to loosen any browned bits. Press cancel. Return beef to cooker. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure. Remove steak with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Add red pepper and onion to cooker. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Serve vegetables and steak with tortillas and desired toppings.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 fajita: 314 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Aug 23, 2020
Got rave reviews for dinner tonight - made a few modifications: -Used McCormack Fajita seasoning pack instead of whatever cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper recipe called for -Juiced one lime directly into the water instead of 1/2 tbl lemon juice. Only had lime, have no idea how much juice that equals -Used green bell pepper instead of red -Used red onion instead of white -4 garlic gloves instead of 1 -Thinly sliced one whole jalapeno with seeds and threw in with fajita veggies -Heated can of seasoned black beans while veggies cooked This went over SO well - the 20month old kept saying YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY so we'll be saving this recipe again for the future!
Apr 30, 2020
The beef was tasty. The red pepper