Pressure Cooker Caribbean Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 55 min. + releasing
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), halved
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. When oil is hot, brown a roast half on all sides. Remove; repeat with remaining beef and oil.
- Add water to pressure cooker. Cook 30 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Press cancel. Place sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in pressure cooker; top with beef. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over top.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 55 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. A thermometer inserted in beef should read at least 145°. Freeze option: Place pot roast and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture : 282 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Aug 22, 2020
A nice base recipe. Our family thought it could use a bit more zip for Caribbean Flavor. Suggest adding thyme, allspice and sliced jalapenos or red pepper flakes. The vegies were quite soft so I would cut them into larger pieces and perhaps reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes or so. Plentiful sauce - I think that diluted the flavor so I would reduce the tomato sauce to 8 ounces and there would still be enough liquid to create steam pressure. We made a rub of the dry ingredients instead of placing them on top of the roast. Meat had great flavor.
Dec 23, 2019
This was truly an exceptional recipe that goes right to the top of the list of my favorites. One modification I made was I actually added some Mexican chocolate that already has some cinnamon in it and just used a little bit of the cocoa though the rest I followed almost exactly. This is very aromatic with lots of eye appeal and a really delectable, savory flavor with just a touch of sweetness.
Dec 18, 2019
Fantastic! A wonderful mix of spices for a very flavorful roast. The sweet potatoes are a nice change from white potatoes.
Jun 4, 2019