Pressure-Cooker BBQ Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 35 min. + releasing
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried great northern beans
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1/2 pound each)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, optional
- Rinse and sort beans. Transfer to a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Add ham hocks, water, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Cut meat into small cubes, discarding bones; return meat to pressure cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, remaining garlic powder, remaining onion powder and, if desired, pepper sauce. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 3 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 238 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 5, 2020
Added some leftover bacon as my ham hocks had virtually no meat on them. Rave reviews from everyone and so easy to make.
Mar 11, 2020
If you think this is low sodium, you are kidding yourself. There are 2000 milligrams of sodium just in the barbecue sauce. Add in the salt from the ham hocks, yikes. At least make your own barbecue sauce (don't use regular ketchup - loaded with sugar
Jan 28, 2018
These were great. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfectly. I soaked my beans overnight and the cooking time in my instant pot was just as the recipe called for. I prefer my beans slightly sweeter, so I stirred a little extra brown sugar in my dish, but the rest of the family ate it without any extra sugar.