Prairie Bean Soup
This soup started out as an "end-of-the-month" meal, a creative way to use up items that were on hand. We liked it so well that I now prepare it even when the pantry is full. My twin daughters an I all enjoy cooking...and my husband reaps the benefits!—Katherine VanDeraa, South Bend, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 25 min.
Makes12-16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 4 cups dried pinto beans, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (15-3/4 ounces each) pork and beans
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef, pork sausage and onions over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are tender; drain well. Add the next seven ingredients. Stir in the beans, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours.