Potluck Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 12 large fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove stems from mushrooms; place caps in a greased 15x10x1-in. pan. Finely chop stems; wrap in paper towels and squeeze to remove moisture.
- In a skillet, heat 1-1/2 tablespoons butter; saute onion and stems over medium-high heat until tender. Stir in lemon juice and seasonings; cook until juices are almost evaporated. Cool slightly.
- Mix sausage, parsley and onion mixture; spoon into mushroom caps. Mix bread crumbs and cheese; sprinkle over tops. Dot with remaining butter.
- Bake until sausage is cooked through, 15-20 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices. If desired, top with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed mushroom: 59 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 7, 2016
I thought these were really good but was a bit leery of the uncooked sausage. So I browned it lightly first. Family liked them too, except for the non-shroom ones. Nice seasoning, not too salty or strong-flavored. Italian sausage might be nice for those who like things a bit bolder; might try that next time.
Jan 24, 2016
These are delicious if you don't overcook them in the oven. I will definitely cook the sausage ahead of time because the first time I made them I baked them too long.
Dec 17, 2015
Hi Pepsi31,Cooking the sausage ensures that the mushrooms won't overcook in the oven.
Dec 16, 2015
I have a question, I know the recipe does not mention it, but is it really not necessary to cook the sausage before stuffing the mushrooms
Jul 6, 2015
I used portabello mushroom caps and served these as an entree, with hollandaise sauce drizzled over the top. They were a huge hit.
Nov 10, 2013
I'm thinking I would like to make this for a holiday gathering Hi flageolet, I would very much like to know the brand of sausage did you incorporate , was the Parmesan a quality aged like Asiago d'Allevo and what brand of bread crumbs did you used for this recipe?Thanks in advance:)
May 21, 2013
No comment left
Feb 4, 2013
i am a seasoned cook and made these for superbowl, not good and i went exactly by the recipe
Dec 31, 2012
No comment left
Dec 27, 2012
This recipe is wonderful and easy to follow. I used large portabella caps w/green onions and used sage sausage...NUMMY!! I was always intimated by recipies I've never tried before, but find you learn by trying!!