Potato-Topped Ground Beef Skillet
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/4 pounds red potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook and crumble beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion, carrots, mushrooms and garlic until onion is tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in flour and herbs; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add beef and broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain; cool slightly.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange potatoes over stew, overlapping slightly; brush lightly with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cheese. Broil 5-6 in. from heat until potatoes are lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 313 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 14, 2020
I love this recipe! Its become one of my staples when we have extra ground beef. Only tip is to use 1 pound of beef instead of two, everything melds better.
Apr 9, 2020
For all the time this took, it should have tasted better.... it was edible, but did not stand out as anything special- needed more veggies in the meat.
Feb 18, 2020
My family loved this recipe! I used ground turkey instead of ground beef.
Sep 27, 2018
This looked so impressive when i put it on the table - and it was so good too - a huge hit and was actually fun to make too