Polynesian Pork Loin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper over roast. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the water, pineapple, tomato paste, brown sugar, onion, green pepper, vinegar, ginger and remaining salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Reserve 1-1/4 cups sauce; set aside.
- Pour remaining sauce over roast. Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 301 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Nov 3, 2019
Good flavors and simple to prepare. The roast cooked for a total time of 2 hours before coming up to temp.
Jan 30, 2015
family loved it. I didn't have crushed pineapple, so used chunks instead. Think I will always use chunks. Family liked that.
Apr 23, 2012
This was so yummy I can't wait to make it again next time for guests :) I used Mrs.Dash to season the pork thus decreasing the sodium. I posted the pic of mine on facebook and had multiple offers of self invites for dinner :)
Jan 4, 2011
This is a really tasty recipe. I followed the recipe ingredients exactly, except I didn't add the green pepper. I had a 4.5 lb pork loin, and found that it was PERFECTLY DONE (170 degree internal temp) after roasting for a total of two hours. If I had roasted it as long as the recipe called for, it certainly would have dried out. I will surely make this again for my family.