Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in sausage, soup, sauerkraut, 2 cups cheese, milk, onions, mustard and garlic.
- Spoon into 2 greased 8-in. square baking dishes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and bubbly, 45-50 minutes.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and bubbly, 50-55 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 428 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1193mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Jul 2, 2020
A nice change in taste for a kielbasa dish.
Jun 14, 2020
I make this all the time. This is my "go-to" recipe for mashed potatoes.
Jun 13, 2020
Because the dish sounded delicious, I made it, exactly as the recipe said. My hubby enjoyed it, but I didn't care for the dish; couldn't figure what it was that turned me off, but it sounded much better than it turned out, in my opinion. It was't a 'keeper' for us.
Jun 2, 2020
Loved this! Made large batch, frozen in small foil lined casserole dishes. Once frozen, removed from dish
Apr 29, 2020
Absolutely fabulous recipe. We can't stop eating it...
Apr 28, 2020
where do the green onions fit in?
Apr 16, 2020
Good! Would like to try with corned beef or pastrami next time.
Apr 16, 2020
Absolutely delicious, hearty and filling. Only change I made to the recipe was I had only a 13-ounce package of smoked sausage (that was plenty) and I also used rigatoni pasta rather than penne as that was what I had on hand. I will definitely be making this again!
Apr 14, 2020
I found this tasty. The negative reviewers (“straight into the trash”? Really?) apparently didn’t give much consideration to the ingredients. It’s a casserole: if you like the ingredients you’ll like the dish. If you don’t, you won’t. Haters gotta hate.
Apr 7, 2020
I’ve been “shopping” in the back of my freezer, fridge and pantry during this time at home and found this recipe to accommodate some odds and ends. I halved it, but kept the same amount of sauerkraut, subbed cream of celery for cream of mushroom, used 8 slices of Swiss, and subbed chickpea rotini (I’m GF). I forgot to take out some rotini so I actually used 3 cups dry for half the recipe. My family LOVED IT!!! My 11 year-old wanted to lick the plate (or was that me?)!!! This was a winner and will go into our regular rotation. That same 11 year-old suggested that next time I dice the kielbasa so there’s some in every bite. Will do!