Plum Crisp with Crunchy Oat Topping
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 40 min.
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 cups sliced fresh plums (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, 1/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. With clean hands, work butter into sugar mixture until well combined. Add nuts; toss to combine. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the plums, tapioca, lemon juice and remaining sugar. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Let stand for 15 minutes. Sprinkle topping over plum mixture.
- Bake at 375° until topping is golden brown and plums are tender, 40-45 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 233 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 10, 2020
Delicious use for my plentiful plums picked from my tree this year! My plums were very sweet so cut to 1Tbls sugar & reduced white sugar in crumble another 1 Tbls. Use almond flour & pecans vs walnuts as what had on hand, with almond flour feel this allowed decreased sugar in topping. Took it to an outdoor BBQ with a few close friends & they were delighted I left them with the leftovers!
Jul 13, 2019
I'm reviewing this again because today I made it with 5 cups of strawberries instead of plums. Delicious.
Aug 27, 2011
Yummy! Perfect recipe for using up Costco plums before they went bad. So easy. I didn't use the nuts and cut the sugar a bit. I didn't peel plums as recipe didn't mention the need to peel.