Pizza from Scratch
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients; set aside. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to greased 12-in. pizza pans; build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork.
- Bake until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. Spread sauce over hot crusts to within 2-in. of edges; top with sausage, mushrooms, green pepper and cheese. Bake 20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 347 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 970mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 25, 2020
This is the absolute best pizza recipe! Raean (my son) just can't get enough of it! My families mixer has unfortunately encountered an... unrelated incident (LOL) but I was able to mix this recipe easily by hand! Delicious and a great workout to boot!
May 6, 2020
it makes a very good pizza
Feb 26, 2020
It is sooo goodddd
Mar 6, 2016
LOVED this recipe and will definitely make it again! The dough was too heavy for my regular beaters and so I put my kneading hooks on and mixed it that way. I didn't measure any of the toppings and just set it up so everyone could add whatever they wanted, and also used ham pineapples, pepperoni, onions, olives, etc!! A keeper!!!
Jun 21, 2015
Pizza is my favorite food. This was my first time cooking it. I was disappointed but heck I've eating some delicious pizza! Even eat some in Italy. But for my taste, the sauce lacked "zest," there was not enough cheese, and heck! No pepperoni! But my mother liked it! hehe. I hope to try again soon.
May 11, 2015
This is a delicious recipe. I have been making another for many years and this one tops it. The crust is crunchy and soft inside. True as another reader mentioned the dough was harder to mix with the 2 cups of flour but when the beater started to labor I stopped and mixed the remainder by hand. I added various toppings and sooo good!Thank you for a terrific recipe!
Jan 1, 2012
Beat on medium speed?? Seriously?? Thanks a bunch, the 2 c. flour hadn't even all been mixed in and the dough has climbed up the beaters and into my mixer. Did it ruin your mixer when you made it too? I will never make this again and dont reccomend it to anyone else either. I'm sure the toppings and sauce are great, but the dough is bad.
Jul 5, 2011
No comment left
Dec 30, 2010
This was a great recipe. My family loved it. We used pepperoni instead of sausage, and added olives. Very versatile recipe. Thanks!
Feb 13, 2010
When I made this for my In-laws they loved it! It is easy and delicious. The sauce is the best part. I make it often, per my husband's request.