Pineapple Upside-Down Dump Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours + standing
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a microwave, melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread evenly onto bottom of a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with cherries and pecans; top with pineapple. Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top.
- Cook, covered, on high until fruit mixture is bubbly, about 2 hours. (To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- Turn off slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 30 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 455 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 28, 2020
This was terrible. It was just a big pot of mush.
Jun 3, 2019
Would make this in the oven. Seems easier to me. Probably would have to increase final butter drizzle to at least 1/2cup to get yummy top crust like dump cakes always have.
Mar 22, 2018
I love dump cakes and have never tried making one in my slow cooker before. I can't believe how delicious and perfect this came out. An easy recipe just got easier.
Feb 15, 2018
Because I forgot this was a slow cooker recipe, I had to nix that because of time. What I did instead was to use ramekins which worked out perfectly because family does not like maraschino cherries . Using ramekins one can add/subtract ingredients per each person't likes/dislikes. Great recipe. Will be making this again.