Pineapple-Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Hot cooked brown rice
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Mix cornstarch, soy sauce, honey, cinnamon and reserved juice until smooth. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until lightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, saute onion, ginger and garlic in remaining oil until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to pan with chicken and pineapple chunks. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with rice. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup chicken mixture: 316 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 487mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Jul 11, 2020
Sorry, I just don't get why there is cinnamon in this recipe. Somehow cinnamon on chicken doesn't make sense to me. It was not to my taste. It would have been okay without it, though sort of sweet. Plus I used my cast iron frying pan and after I cleaned it I had to sauté garlic and onions in it to get rid of the cinnamon smell.
Jul 9, 2020
Yummy! Tried and it is a keeper. A few adaptions, 1/2 teaspoon of honey which I think it could be completely omitted. No ginger, I did not have any. A dash of cinnamon. Cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. Thank you Sue!
Jul 7, 2020
Not one of the better recipes I've tried , My husband doesn't like pineapple cooked, but he was willing to try this. I don't think I will make this anymore. It was disappointing because usually Taste of Home has really good recipes.
Apr 24, 2020
Must be an American recipe because it tastes more of dessert than food Skip the honey and the cinnamon and it might be good
Dec 6, 2019
OMG I made this recipe EXACTLY as written for a bunco potluck. The dish was almost literally licked dry. LOL needless to say I had to reprint the recipe 11 additional times. Thank you Sue for sharing the recipe.
Jun 9, 2019
I added a cup of chicken stock and omitted the cinnamon, plus added sauteed sweet pepper, and onion, and celery cut on the diagonal and this turned out 5* p.s. it really did need chicken stock.
Apr 19, 2018
Made this for supper tonight and it was very good. My husband wants me to make it sometime using shrimp instead of chicken. The flavors blend nicely to make a delicious sauce for the rice.
Apr 4, 2018
Very good! I made a half-recipe for the two of us and we enjoyed it. Next time I will try it without the cinnamon.
Feb 24, 2018
When we got our Simple and Delicious magazine for February/March 2018 I couldn't wait to try this. Had this delicious dish for dinner tonight. The cinnamon really gives it a great flavor! Thank you Sue for sharing your recipe.