Pineapple Carrot Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons milk, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs; add carrots, oil, pineapple and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in nuts.
- Spoon into two greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- If glaze is desired, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 192 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 5, 2018
I just made this and ate a warm slice. It is very delicious and moist! I chose not to add the glaze because I didn't want the extra sugar. I can't say how it would be with the glaze, but I certainly don't think it needs it. The only very very minor additions I made were the following: A little bit of ground allspice (about 1/4 teaspoon for the whole recipe). I did that because a carrot loaf cake I've made in the past had allspice in it, and I really love it along with the cinnamon. I also added about 3 Tbs (or around 1/4 cup) of unsweetened apple sauce after I stirred in the carrot. I did that only because I felt the batter was just too thick. I'm glad I did that. It worked out great, but I wouldn't recommend others doing that unless they also felt the batter was too thick. Perhaps my flour may have been a factor. I don't know. This recipe is nice because it's more of a sweet bread than loaf cake. I prefer sweet breads for breakfast, which is what I made it for.
May 3, 2015
Wonderful bread, great tasting, however, it has too much sugar.
Oct 27, 2009
My husband gave me a wierd look when I told him what I was making but he ended up loving it! I substitute pureed white beans (with a little water to make the same consistancy as oil) for oil in all of my quick breads, you can't taste the difference but the texture is lighter and less greasy. I know it sounds wierd but once you try it you'll never go back to oil.
Jan 26, 2008
No comment left