Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese, drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg and onion salt. In another bowl, combine potatoes, 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Place 3 noodles in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese mixture and 3 more noodles. Top with potato mixture, remaining noodles and sauteed onion. Top with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Cover and bake at 350° until heated through, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 223 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 23, 2020
This is a really novel take on pierogis....it was a little bit of work (between making the noodles, the potato mixture and the cottage cheese mixture.) But worth it. Loved the sauteed onions. I see why people may want to amp it up, but was tasty as written. Thanks for posting recipe!
May 27, 2020
This is an awesome recipe. We add a layer of sauerkraut. Amps it up a little.
May 26, 2020
I added some bacon because I felt like it needed a little something. I served it with sour cream as well. It was definitely tasty, but given how much we enjoy traditional perogies much more, I don't think I'll make it again.
Nov 18, 2019
I have been making this for years. It is a great way to use up left over mashed potatoes. I just reheat in the microwave to add the cheese. Also if I do not have lasagna noodles I substitute extra wide egg noodles.
Oct 30, 2017
This was really easy and very tasty. Pierogies always remind me of the kase noodle made by my grandmother's family which immigrated from the Volga River German colonies in Russia. I loved both the potato and the cheese they would make. This recipe combines those. The ingredients could be more highly seasoned so adjust as you like.
Oct 13, 2014
Very Very easy and Very Very good!!
Oct 7, 2014
added hamburger after reading reviews and seasoning. Will make again.
Feb 9, 2012
Added a layer of cooked ground beef - my little man's "fav" all time supper!
Oct 10, 2010
This is a great recipe- it does taste like pierogies! It is a little bland. Next time I would add browned bread crumbs to the top, like my grandmother served over her pierogies! Or my husband suggested bacon bits.
Jul 28, 2010
My hubby and kids love this...my hubby suggested maybe some ground turkey in it...I also add a couple of cans of mushrooms to the top...