Picadillo in Pita Bread
I made many one-dish, top-of-the-stove meals while raising three children. After I'd worked all day, there was always something to do at home. That didn't leave much time to cook! —Shirley Smith, Orange, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce or 1 can (7-3/4 ounces) Mexican-style hot tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 6 pita pocket halves
- Cubed avocado and sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, garlic and onion until beef is brown and onion is soft. Drain fat. Stir in apple, broth, vinegar, tomato sauce, salt, cinnamon and cumin; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in raisins and almonds. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To serve, fill each pita half with beef mixture. If desired, top with avocado and a dollop of sour cream.