A hearty meal in itself, this savory pie features delicious pheasant. Here in central Pennsylvania, that game bird isn't as plentiful as in times past, and so this dish is a real treat. I make it for special occasions. -Tawnya Coyne, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + cooling Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pheasants (2-1/2 pounds each)
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (16 ounces) pearl onions, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- In a large saucepan, place the pheasants, water, quartered onion, celery and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; set aside. Strain broth, discarding vegetables. Measure 3-1/2 cups broth and place in saucepan. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg. Remove 1/2 cup and stir in flour. Bring broth in saucepan to a boil. Add flour mixture; boil 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the pearl onions, peas, carrots, pimientos, parsley and pheasant. Spoon into a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Roll pastry to fit dish; place over meat mixture and seal edges to dish. Cut small steam vents in crust. Bake at 425° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden.