Pheasant and Wild Rice
Everyone in my family hunts, so we have an abundance of game. This recipe also works well with wild turkey or grouse and even with chicken if you prefer. I love to make this dish on special occasions and for guests.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6 bacon strips, cut up
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large pheasant, halved or two small pheasants (about 4 pounds)
- In a large saucepan, combine first nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, place flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Place oven bag in a 13x9-in. baking pan; add the bacon. Sprinkle rice and mushrooms over bacon. Add pheasant. Pour soup mixture into bag.
- Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided. Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 615 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 1068mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 63g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.