Perky Olive Penguins
Total TimePrep: 35 min.
- 1 can (5-3/4 ounces) jumbo pitted ripe olives, drained
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 12 small pitted ripe olives
- 12 toothpicks with cellophane frilled tops
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimientos
- Cut a slit from the top to bottom of 12 jumbo olives; set aside. In a bowl, combine the next six ingredients; mix well. Fill a small heavy-duty plastic bag with cream cheese mixture. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag; carefully pipe mixture into jumbo olives. Set aside. Cut a small triangle out of each carrot slice; press triangles into small olives for a beak. On a each notched carrot slice, position a jumbo olive so the white chest is lined up with the notch. Place the small olive, hole side down, over the jumbo olive so the beak, chest and feet are aligned. Carefully insert a toothpick through the top of head into body and carrot base. Wrap a pimiento around neck for a scarf.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 147 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 2, 2012
so easy and a huge hit at my party. And they looked even better in person than in the pictures!
Dec 18, 2011
Using cheese is easier than using carrots for the nose and feet. So many compliments!! Too cute!!
Dec 17, 2009
Easier than it looks. Took 'em to our annual christmas Party and all my friend couldn't stop talking about how cute they were. " So cute you don't want to eat them", though they still manged to disappear.
Oct 23, 2009
These are so much fun to make and really fun to eat!!