Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in peppermint candy. Gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until blended (dough will be stiff).
- Divide dough in half. On an ungreased baking sheet, shape each portion into a 12x2-1/2-in. rectangle. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each biscotti into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; sprinkle with candy. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 121 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 20, 2017
Dec 4, 2017
These sound great, but I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer before I try them: can I use anything other than shortening for the frosting? Thanks for any help!
Dec 17, 2015
The taste of these was terrific! As with other biscotti recipes, I seem to have difficulty getting the dough to hang together. Overall, delicious.
Dec 5, 2014
This is a delicious biscotti - great dunked in hot chocolate! Now that I found crushed peppermint at the store (my local Fleet Farm), I love them even more. (I always found it hard to get the peppermints crushed evenly - used food processor, hammer, etc - through the years and never had great luck.) It's a tradition in our house - just perfect!
Dec 21, 2013
We love this biscotti.
Dec 14, 2013
I love this recipe!! So does everyone else that tried it. I like this recipe so much compared to other biscotti recipes that I have found and tried that I have experimented and made many different flavors. I added orange extract, orange zest, and cranberries instead of the peppermint, it's been a big hit also! I added orange extract, orange zest, chocolate chips, yummo! I added the peppermint extract, and MINT chocolate chips. I tried white chocolate chips & cranberries. I used vanilla extract, some cinnamon, and CARAMEL bits (Kraft). I used vanilla extract, lots of cinnamon & drizzed the biscotti with Wilton EGGNOG. I am using this recipe and the variations I am trying to make lots of biscotti for Christmas gifts right now. THANK you so much for this fantastic recipe.
Oct 22, 2013
This is such a perfect, easy recipe!
Oct 22, 2013
For all recipes calling for crushed peppermint. I found a 10 oz. package of crushed peppermint candy. It's all so nicely sized, perfect for what they call for in this recipe. The label on the back, says....Atkinson Candy Company, Lufkin, TX 75915-0220. www.atkinsoncandy.com And to top it al off MADE IN AMERICA"
Dec 27, 2012
"Christmas will never be the same" that is what my sister said after she had some of this biscotti. I made this last year for the first time and I made it again this year (this year I had to make a double batch and next year I will probably make more than that). This biscotti is so amazing I just can't put it into words! Now.... it does take a while to make that is the only downside but it is well worth it. Also, I can't find any crushed peppermint candies so some of my time is dedicated to crushing candy canes and that takes a good chunk of time. Make this recipe if you love biscotti, it is one of, if not THE best!
Dec 17, 2012
I made these for the first time last Christmas, and they were a huge hit. Everyone has been asking for them again this year. I have a double batch in the oven right now...they smell heavenly! I drizzle mine with white chocolate and then sprinkle with the crushed peppermint. Delish!