Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones
Mmm! That's what you'll hear as you serve a platter of these buttery, savory scones. The bacon and cheese flavor combination is a welcomed change of pace to the usual sweet varieties often served at brunch. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first 5 ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, bacon and shallot.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; reserve 1 tablespoon mixture for brushing scones. Stir remaining mixture into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved buttermilk mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 433 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.