Pepper Sirloin Steak
Jean Bunders of Wauzeka, Wisconsin is a nutritionist of her county's Department of Aging. She notes, "I got this recipe in a cooking class I attended. Everyone in class really liked it."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large green peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Cut steak into 2-in. x 1/8-in. strips. In a large skillet or wok, brown steak in oil. Add garlic, ginger, salt if desired and pepper; cook 1 minute. Remove meat and keep warm.
- Add green pepper and onions to skillet; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Dissolve bouillon in hot water; add to skillet with water chestnuts.
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, cold water and sugar; stir into skillet. Add meat. Cook and stir until mixture boils; cook and stir 2 minutes more.