Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes or riced potatoes (without added milk, butter or seasonings)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, milk, eggs and butter. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 2 cups flour; stir into potato mixture. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Turn each half onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm doughnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 doughnut: 163 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Feb 27, 2020
My first try at doughnuts. Made them in strips instead of rounds. Fried at 350 instead of 375. Very pleased with result.
Apr 19, 2018
This was very good. I added1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg to the batter and yum!
Mar 19, 2015
Cups? How many ml is that?
May 13, 2012