Peasant Bean Soup
This is an extra-good hearty soup. I often serve it to my church circle of over 100 members. After dinner, I'm always asked for this special recipe.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound dried great northern beans, washed and sorted
- 2-1/2 quarts cold water, divided
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak beans overnight in 2 qts. water.
- Add remaining water to softened beans and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 meat, 1/2 fat.
Dec 15, 2013
How can a soup with a pound of beans in it not have any fiber??? Someone needs to review the nutritional facts. Will make though as sounds delicious and healthy.
Jan 16, 2013
Excellent soup. Will make again. Thanks! :O)