Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makes44 sandwich cookies
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls and place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/8-in. thickness with fork. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread on half of the cookies and top each with another cookie.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 197 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 23, 2020
I made these yesterday because my husband asked me to make him some homemade peanut butter cookies. I read the recipe, then the reviews. I did cut back the confectioners sugar in the frosting to 2 cups, as per other reviewers saying it was too sweet with 3 cups. I did leave some plain and iced most. My husband ate most of the plain, and said the sandwich cookies were too sweet. The recipe is easy, quick except for the tremendous amount of cookies you bake, and they are definitely peanut buttery. Thanks for the recipe, Taste of Home. You are a life saver during this Pandemic for having recipes to try ( stay at home order) and for favorites that I continue to go back to from years past. Everyday ingredients, home cooking. Stay safe!
Dec 30, 2019
I only used 2 cups powdered sugar for the filled and it was sweet enough for my crowd. These cookies were a home run! Everyone kept coming back for more...
Mar 20, 2019
Oh my goodness - these are the best cookies I have ever tasted. We added some chocolate chips to the cookie batter. They were very easy. These are my entire family's new favorite cookie-we all LOVE peanut butter. Thanks so much for sharing.
Jul 23, 2018
Do these need to be refrigerated, as they have milk in the cream filling?
May 7, 2018
These are the best peanut butter cookies.....followed the recipe as written.....I am suppose to bring these to work.....I hope I have some left.....
Apr 17, 2018
These are some of my grandsons' favorite cookies. They both love them and always look forward to me making them.
Mar 23, 2018
The peanut butter cookies by themselves are really good. I used half butter and half shortening. The filling was too sweet for me. Next time I’ll use less sugar
Jan 30, 2018
My children love this recipe I make it often
Jul 23, 2017
I made these cookies, but instead of making the peanut butter filling, I used Dulce des Leches caramel spread. Absolutely delicious and not an overpowering peanut taste!
May 8, 2017
This is our favorite peanut butter cookie of any type!! They are loved by all!!!!