Party Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add beef in batches; shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat in oil until meat is no longer pink. Place beef and drippings in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, add the water, broth, garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms. Pour over meat; stir to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle peas over meat. Spread potatoes evenly over top. Brush with butter; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
I'm a meat and potato kinda guy and this definitely fill the bill!!
Mar 1, 2017
I have been making this recipe for several years & I love it! Its flavorful, filling and a great comfort food!I use stew meat though.
Sep 2, 2014
Very good. I liked the steak instead of the traditional ground beef you would find in a shepard's pie.
Aug 8, 2013
No comment left
Sep 17, 2012
No comment left
Mar 21, 2012
Meat mixture was a little runny but I sprinkled flour on and mixed it in before I put the potatoes on top. Turned out great!
Mar 12, 2012
I have been making this recipe for over 10 yrs. Everytime I make it, it is a big hit & GONE!
Dec 21, 2011
Has anyone made this with leftover Thanksgiving mashed potatoes?
Jun 12, 2011
This needed salt and the bottom meat portion ended up a little runny. Love the mushroom and pea combination.
Feb 22, 2011
This recipe was excellent! It is now my favorite way to prepare round steak.