Owl Eyes Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Orange and yellow M&M's
- Whole cashews
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Remove two-thirds of the dough; roll into an 8-in. square on plastic wrap and set aside.
- Combine melted chocolate and baking soda until thoroughly blended; beat into remaining dough. Shape into an 8-in log. Place chocolate log at one end of the square and roll up; pinch seams together. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. To form owl's face, place two slices side by side on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pinch dough at the top of the circles to form ears. Place M&M's in the center of each circle for eyes. Place a cashew in the center of the face for the beak.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 20, 2017
I have been making these adorable and tasty cookies for years! In fact, my mother made these for my twin sister's and my classes when we were in grammar school in the early 1960's! She got the recipe from a Pillsbury Bake-Off cookbook. I've made them for my own children, now grown. I always bake these owl cookies this time of year, it's a tradition :)
Sep 2, 2011
I bake the cookies on the last halloween and it taste very good. I bake 2 style of Owl, the firts like the recipe and the secon one with the white inside the brown plus chocolate chip in the middle of the white. The kids find them cute and tasty. I will bake them again this week i think!