Overnight Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 8 slices bread, cubed
- 3/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage or Italian sausage
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese; set aside. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Crumble sausage over the cheese and bread. Beat the eggs, milk, mustard, soup and broth; pour over sausage. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 2-3 hours before baking.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or just until set. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 526 calories, 38g fat (18g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 1134mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Jun 9, 2020
YUCK!! Can no one cook w/out adding the dreaded Mushroom soup??
Dec 19, 2018
I made this casserole for dinner last night and found it to be quite tasty and satisfying. I made some changes so I could use things I had on hand...... I used fresh country sausage instead of Italian sausage and I used more cheese than called for in the recipe and I didn't use the chicken broth...... I also mixed all ingredients together (instead of layering) and sprinkled extra cheese on top of the casserole..... then I put it in the fridge for 4-5 hours before baking. My husband and I both liked it ..... will be making it again but may use cream of celery or cream of chicken condensed soup instead ...... may add sauteed mushrooms as well. One drawback was that it was a little "juicy" on the bottom..... a problem that might be solved by using more bread ....... or maybe using croissants instead so it tastes like our favorite breakfast sandwich we get at the local coffee shop. 4 stars for sure!!
Jan 22, 2018
I used hot sausage, and added seasonings ... thyme, Mrs. Dash Table Blend, black pepper, and Morton Season All Seasoned Salt. I thought it was pretty tasty. It will be fun to play around with the recipe and make a few other changes..
Oct 30, 2017
There appears to be a lot missing from this recipe. Very bland!!!!
Dec 21, 2013
This was the worst breakfast casserole I have ever tasted. My husband and I ate one small piece and had to throw the rest in the garbage. I am a veteran cook, so it wasn't me!!
Sep 13, 2013
easy casserole to prepare. Adaptable with various meats and cheeses
Nov 3, 2010
No comment left
Nov 21, 2008
No comment left