Overnight Caramel French Toast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 slices bread
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with six slices of bread. Combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle half over the bread. Place remaining bread on top. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 571 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 262mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
May 13, 2020
This is the exact recipe I got from the Iris Inn on my honeymoon 20 years ago. I have been making it for years. It is always a hit - especially on Christmas morning like others have said. I did notice that it doesn't say to either flip the whole casserole or just each serving as you go so the caramel ends up on top.
Aug 28, 2019
A great recipe that my whole family loves! A tip for those that think it's too soggy: Use thicker slices of bread and let your bread sit out for a day or two to allow it to dry out instead of toasting it.
Dec 25, 2017
this is an Amish recipe and published in an Amish cookbook (2007 p.35) I make this every Christmas morning
Dec 22, 2017
I started making this on Christmas morning about three years ago and now my kids expect it. It is delicious
Sep 1, 2017
made this in 2 smaller pans, first one was excellent the first morning and the second just about as good as leftovers reheated the next daydid throw in some raisins between the layers of breadwill make again
Dec 25, 2014
So yummy if you like custardy french toast! Would be wonderful with some chopped pecans sprinkled in the pan before adding the bread.
Jul 3, 2014
I use French bread n cook it a little longer so not mushy
Feb 6, 2014
Delicious old favourite.
Jan 2, 2013
It had good flavor but an overall mushy texture. I'd probably use the spices and caramel sauce but put the bread on a griddle.
Dec 5, 2012
No comment left