Orzo with Parmesan & Basil
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta or pearl couscous
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute orzo in butter until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cheese, basil and pepper. If desired, top with fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 285 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Jul 23, 2020
This was a great side dish for a recent grilled chicken dinner. Fresh basil from my garden paired with Parmesan and sautéed orzo was a tasty combination. A keeper!
Jul 20, 2020
It is great and easy! Fresh basil from the garden makes it better of course. I substituted with some white wine as well. Super easy
Jul 16, 2020
So easy and so very tasty!
Jun 30, 2020
May 21, 2017
This recipe says orzo but the picture shows couscous and is misleading. Made this dish with the orzo and it was really good. Followed recipe with no changes and will absolutely make again. This is definitely a 5 star recipe. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
May 28, 2016
Lovely side dish. Used orzo instead of couscous and cooked this in my rice cooker. Whole family enjoyed this. Would definitely make again. Thanks for a great recipe.
Jan 24, 2016
One of our favorite side dishes. Love it.
Mar 16, 2014
Delicious! The whole family enjoyed it.
Oct 14, 2013
too much basil
Sep 8, 2013
I absolutely love this recipe! I make it a meal by adding a pound of ground turkey and a little more cheese and milk. It's simple and quick