Orange Spinach Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes16 servings (1 cup each)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In a small heavy skillet, melt sugar over low heat. Add almonds and stir to coat. Cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Spread onto a greased sheet of foil; break apart if necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, spinach, mushrooms, cheese, red onion, bacon and oranges.
- For dressing, in a blender, combine the vinegar, sugar, onion, mustard and salt; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sugared almonds. Serve immediately.
Oct 7, 2012
Niced salad, except we found the dressing way too vinegary for us.
Jul 11, 2012
Very good! I used praline almonds that I crushed myself, peaches cuz I didn't have mandarins, and cut down on the vinegar in the dressing abit. It had lots of different flavours!!
Apr 5, 2010
I made this as part of our Easter dinner this year. It was a huge hit! And best of all it was very easy. The salad dressing was delicious. Will definitely make again!
Jan 23, 2010
I wouldn't change a thing! This recipe knocks our socks off! I'm not a great one for salads but this is one I won't pass up. Everybody who tries it loves it and asks for the recipe. In fact I'm printing off yet another copy to give to my Pastor's wife who wants to use it at our Valentine's Banquet.
Nov 10, 2009
Very easy and delicious...a new family favorite!
Apr 22, 2009
No comment left