Orange Cranberry Torte
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, applesauce, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the walnuts, cranberries, dates and orange zest.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 269 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 12, 2012
This recipe was good but I didn't think it was a wow recipe. Simple and basic. I will probably make this again.
Dec 11, 2012
This cake was simple and basic. It was good. I made it for church and there was none left. I used orange extract in the glaze instead of orange juice. I just wouldn't rate this oh my! I have to make this again, kind of recipe.
Mar 1, 2011
I added sub'd canned cherries instead of cranberries. So good!
Nov 29, 2010
Excellent, I made it without the nuts as I had a friend coming over that has an allery to nuts, I used dried cranberries and plumped them up with a little bit of boiling water. Will make this again and again.