Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges
- 3 maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand for 10 minutes. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin dissolves. Add juices, orange zest and 3/4 cup sugar. Set bowl in ice water until mixture is syrupy, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, whip cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- When gelatin mixture begins to thicken, fold in whipped cream. Lightly coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan; chill overnight.
- Just before serving, run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with oranges and cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 297 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 2, 2010
I first tried this recipe for my daughter's 13th birthday tea party. I wanted it to be special and memorable. This dessert was a hit! Not only did it look fabulous on the table, but it was everyone's favorite dish. I've since made it numerous times and always with it receiving rave reviews from my guests.