Orange Bubble Bread
This sweet version of bubble bread is dotted with raisins and topped with an orange glaze. My great-aunt shared the recipe with me. —Cyndie Wowchuk, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
- 4 to 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm milk; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in eggs. Stir in yeast mixture and enough remaining flour until mixture forms a firm ball (mixture will be slightly sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, combine the orange juice, marmalade, sugar, butter and orange zest in a saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Place 1/2 cup syrup and 1/2 cup coconut on the bottom of a greased 10-in. tube pan.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 32 pieces. Roll each into a 1-in. ball. Dip each into remaining orange syrup. Place 16 balls in prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the raisins and 1/4 cup coconut. Top with remaining balls, raisins and coconut. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting bread onto a serving plate.