Orange Beef Stir-Fry
“With its citrusy splash of fresh orange flavor, this dish has become a tasty, Chinese New Year tradition at our house!“ notes Marguerite Shaeffer in Sewell, New Jersey. “Our son David frequently fixed this quick recipe when it was his turn to cook as a college student,“ she adds. TASTY TIP: To turn up the heat and create a spicier Orange Beef Stir-Fry, try substituting Asian chili paste for hoisin sauce. Brown rice is also a delicious option with this meal, says Marguerite Shaeffer.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 large egg white
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound), cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 teaspoons sugar. Stir in 2 tablespoons soy sauce until smooth. Add egg white and beat until blended. Add beef and toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining cornstarch with water until smooth. Add the orange juice concentrate, ketchup, orange zest, hoisin sauce and remaining sugar and soy sauce; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef mixture in hot oil for 2-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir orange juice mixture and stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.