Orange and Red Onion Salad
It's true—orange and onion really does sound like an unusual combination. But when my husband tasted Orange and Red Onion Salad for the first time, he told me, "This one's worth at least three kisses!" I serve this salad with chicken...it likely would go well with fish, too. Up until a short time ago, we lived in the San Joaquin Valley, where almonds, peaches and other crops thrive. Now—along with our 17-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter—we're settling into our new home in the foothills and getting used to seeing row crops and dairy cows instead.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds, optional
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute the almonds until golden brown. Remove almonds to paper towels to drain. Combine next five ingredients. Beat in oil. Combine lettuce, orange sections, onion slices and almonds. Toss with dressing. Serve immediately.