Onion Rye Appetizers
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, crushed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) crumbled bacon or 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) snack rye bread
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, bacon, mayonnaise and Swiss cheese. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce on each slice of bread. Top with about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture.
- Cover and freeze in a single layer for up to 2 months, or bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- To use frozen appetizers: Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 697 calories, 42g fat (15g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1574mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Jan 7, 2016
Took these to a girls' night & they were a big hit
Jun 9, 2014
I made these using rye party bread I had in the freezer. REALLY good!!I made the full recipe of topping which would not be enough for a full loaf of the bread. I think the way the recipe is written, it does not intend that the topping will be enough for a full loaf since it says it serves 20 or that could be an estimate of the # of slices in a full loaf and 2 slices per person??? Anyway, I will use the remaining spread on my regular bread to use it up. Half the loaf I had was 18 slices and I froze 13 and my husband got 3 and I ate 2!! Also, does not use up the full jar of pizza sauce..
Jul 13, 2013
No comment left
Mar 29, 2012
I made these and froze them then cooked them for company. Everyone enjoyed them and they were great
Nov 28, 2011
It was a favorite! I could not find the party rye, so used regular rye bread andcut each slice into fourths. Very flavorfuland moist. Loved it!!!!
Jan 2, 2010
I make them every Christmas for an appetizer party at my mother's house. They are sooooo good! Like mini pizzas but better!
Mar 14, 2009
Oh my goodness - these were awesome! So easy to make and full of flavor. The kids went crazy over these. My only change to this recipe was that I used snack sourdough bread as that is what I had on hand. Will be making these again and again.
Aug 9, 2008
tomatoes is great!
Jan 23, 2008
could add mushrooms
Jan 18, 2008
No comment left