One-Pot Unstuffed Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large skillet, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over rice mixture; mix well. Shape into 36 balls, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter. Add to simmering sauce.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 291 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Aug 22, 2019
I have made a soup like this for years with one minor change so that I can make large batches and freeze it. Instead of meatballs I use loose browned beef and omit the rice. Then when I use from the freezer I add the rice for a totally deconstructed cabbage roll soup. NO raisins..lol
Feb 13, 2019
I didn’t come anywhere near 36 meatballs, but this was still yummy. I thought the raisins were a weird addition, but they added a nice different flavor.
Dec 10, 2017
Was so goodd
Jun 23, 2017
I'm Poland Polish and golombki never has raisins or lemon juice in it - thought I'd try this without it to take a short-cut. Won't make it again and will stick to the old school golombki.
Mar 1, 2017
No comment left
Feb 13, 2017
Loved the One-Pot idea for this. The taste was yummy.... a cozy comfort food on a cool night! I left out the raisins. My husband loved it the first night and again warmed over.
Jan 29, 2017
This was a hit with my family. Delicious just the way it is, and simple to assemble. I wouldn't change a thing! Will definitely make again.
Jan 28, 2017
I made this today and WOW! What an excellent recipe! My father in law is German and he will love this when I bring him some tomorrow. I doubled the recipe and I also added diced potatoes to it and chopped garlic to the meatballs. After adding the cabbage I added some salt and pepper. I also only used about 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. (not a fan of lemon juice lol) My husband totally loved this dish. He said it reminded him of his grandmother's cabbage soup. I posted and shared this recipe on Facebook, I highly recommend it! Very good recipe. My husband said as he was eating it, "you can make this again!" Thank you for sharing it Mrs. Bernard Snow! =)
Jan 26, 2017
Loved this, great family dinner. I will use this often.
Jan 15, 2017
Yummy, great comfort food on a cold night, easy to make and low fat. This was my first try, and I didn't change a thing. I will definitely make this again, but would reduce the amount of lemon juice and probably omit he raisins and add some sugar instead like others have suggested. I imagine it would be good with pork or sausage.