Old World Italian Beef Roll
All of the women in our family have made this dish. The nice thing about this recipe is that the filling is optional according to the mood of the cook. Some cooks use hard-cooked eggs, either sliced or chopped, instead of the raw egg. Others like to dip the beef roll in beaten egg before frying.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 slices bacon or salami, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds and 1/2-inch thick), pounded to tenderize
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Spaghetti sauce
- Cooked pasta
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Spread over steak, roll-up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side. Tie with string.
- In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil and brown meat on all sides. Add water; cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove string; cut steak into 1-1/2-in. slices. Serve with spaghetti sauce and pasta.