Old-Time Custard Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling Process: 55 min./batch + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pints heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir cream and vanilla into custard. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 252 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 16, 2019
Best homemade ice cream recipe ever! Very smooth and good. I flavor the mix right before I put the cream in. Cream is a must don't use anything else.
Feb 17, 2019
I want to make this, but I have NEVER heard of flour being an ingredient in ice cream. Can someone enlighten me??
Feb 24, 2018
Lovely recipie custard a favourite will try to get it done at homem
May 12, 2015
Randy, to answer your question, you need to cool the custard mixture in the refrigerator prior to freezing it in an ice cream maker. In step 3, it says to refrigerate the custard mixture for several hours or overnight. In step 4, it gives the instructions for freezing the ice cream in the ice cream maker.
Aug 8, 2014
I am about to make this recipe...but just wanted to verify that it goes in the fridge overnight and not the freezer