Celebrating the holidays with eggnog is an American tradition that dates to Colonial days. I toast the season with a smooth and creamy concoction that keeps family and friends coming back for more. —Pat Waymire, Yellow Springs, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
Makes16 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream, additional nutmeg and cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 25 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath; stir frequently until cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. If desired, top with dollops of whipped cream, sprinkle with nutmeg and serve with cinnamon sticks.