Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Orange and green food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and oil. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; beat into egg mixture. Stir in carrots.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in another large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Reserve 1/2 cup frosting for decorating if desired. If desired, stir walnuts into remaining frosting.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. If decorating the cake, tint 1/4 cup reserved frosting orange and 1/4 cup green. Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert #7 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with orange frosting. Pipe twelve carrots on top of cake, so each slice will have a carrot. Using #67 leaf pastry tip and the green frosting, pipe a leaf at the top of each carrot.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 531 calories, 28g fat (7g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 11, 2020
Cake is wayyy too sweet.
May 26, 2020
I bake this cake for my daughters birthday every year and we also have it for our Easter dinner. It is the most light, moist, flavorful carrot cake I have baked. I bake it in a 13 x 9 deep baking dish. I do have to bake just a tad bit longer than recipe calls for. I never have leftovers.
Apr 19, 2020
Cake was nice and moist, but the frosting is terribly. WAY too much sugar and not enough frosting. About 6C of sugar in a cake?! Ridiculous. Save yourself and use a better frosting recipe with more cream cheese and less sugar
Apr 7, 2020
So, before I made this recipe, I read the comment section and I want to say it off the bat – the cake I made following this recipe was not dry. Moving on, I didn't have two 9" pans, so I baked all the batter in a single 9" pan for about two times the baking time. Once it cooled I halved the cake from the middle and made two layers. It turned out okay/good, but it's not extraordinarily good. I also added walnuts to the batter and didn't add any to the frosting. For the frosting I added my confectioner's sugar tasting it after every tbsp, and I have to say 3-3/4 cups of sugar for the icing seems A LOT! I only added a couple of tbsp to mine... All in all, people liked it, but would I do it again or recommend this recipe to my friends ? I don't really think so.
Mar 4, 2020
Everything a carrot cake should be!
Mar 4, 2020
I eliminated the nutmeg
Mar 4, 2020
This is my favorite. It’s a perfect recipe. I do not understand why anyone would want to cut the sugar...altering the recipe. Just don’t make it if you that picky. Find a recipe that uses sugar substitutes. When you alter a formula you destroy the essence.
Feb 10, 2020
DO NOT ADD MILK TO THE FROSTING. It makes it way to thin. For me it ruined the entire batch of frosting. It baffles me why the recipe says to add milk because without it the consistency would be perfect.
Jan 4, 2020
I make a carrot cake that everyone loves esp. the frosting. I find most cream cheese frostings sickening sweet. For the cake I would cut the sugar to 1
Nov 29, 2019
This was my first time making a carrot cake and it was a hit! People who didn't like carrot cake said it was the best they've had, people who did were raving about it, it was awesome.