Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt, optional
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown meat in oil. Add the onion, water, seasoned salt, pepper and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the vegetables; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Combine flour, cold water and browning sauce until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 302 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 15, 2015
My favorite recipe for Beef Stew!
Oct 8, 2013
Very tasty, lots of great veges. The whole family loved it!
Oct 28, 2012
No comment left
Oct 8, 2012
Have been making this since the year 2000. Really good and hearty. Have never added the rutabaga, just added extra potatoes. Also love the addition of browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet). Have made it with and without thickening agent of flour/water. Good either way!
Aug 6, 2009
No comment left